2/16/15

A Singer Of Songs


The Belgian Lieven Scheerlinck, based in Barcelona, whispers his words into a microphone under the alias a Singer of Songs since 2008. He's a solitary singer-songwriter but also the leader of a four man band. Now that he owns a record label, his journey culminates in From hello to goodbye, a Singer of Songs’ fourth record.



1. Elliott Smith – Angeles
At the time I was working a terrible job cleaning in a perfume shop, having to get out of bed at 4:30 am every day. And every morning I put on this song. It helped me to gather the strength to get out of bed and face the day.
2. Sparklehorse – Saint Mary
My favorite song of my favorite band. The fact that he wrote this song while he was in the hospital recovering from a coma makes it only more painful & beautiful.
3. Tiny Ruins – Always you, tiptoeing through
Hollie is a dear friend and my favorite female singer at present. I think this is the first song she ever wrote. Nina Simone would be a big fan of Tiny Ruins.
4. Spain – Spiritual
I have been listening at least once a week to this song for the past 20 years. And it keeps moving me every time I hear it.
5. Buffalo Tom – Larry
I like to listen to this one when I’m alone, so I can scream along and play air guitar at ease.
6. The Rye Boys – Candidate
I only discovered them a couple of weeks ago, but it feels as if I’ve known them my whole life. They are amazing.
7. Damien Rice – Trusty and True
Only he can pull this off. The violins in crescendo, the endless repeat of the same melody… If you ask me for another list in ten years, this one will still be on it I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment